Diu is an enchanting isle steeped in history alongwith a quaint mix of Gujarati and Portuguese cultures, where one finds genuine hospitable people. Diu with its Goan Susegad life-style is an ideal place to unwind and rejuvenate yourself, away
from the real and too expeditious a world.
The three main churches in Diu, St. Paul’s, St.Thomas and St. Francis of Assisi are monuments of Portuguese legacy. Built in 1610, the grand St. Paul’s Church was consecrated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception and resembles the architectural style of the Bom Jesus Church in Goa.
One of the most prominent landmarks of Diu is the impressive Diu Fort. Constructed in 1535 A.D. by Nuno Da Cunha, the fort encloses an area of 56,736 sq.mtrs. With its numerous underground tunnels, the fort was virtually impregnable and was one of the most vital forts of the Portuguese in Asia. The fort is a sight to behold during winter evenings and mornings whilst the fog spreads around and the flicker of the gas-flame becomes distant and misty. Within the fort is the old jail, few ruins including the remains of a destroyed chapel and a lighthouse. The Cavalier Lighthouse, a silent sentinel of the passage of time was once the highest point in Diu and is still the most attractive part of the fort.